Sunday, January 24, 2016

Part nine...NOLA and Ireland



62

“How do you feel about Nawoleans?” Trey asked me on Christmas.

“I love it, all that decadence and partying and puking in the street?” I laughed, “and I’m sure you would love me to show my tits for some cheap beads.”

“Show them to me and I give you expensive beads.”

I lifted my top, “Here you go.”

He hugged me, not letting the top fall back down, then he stepped back and handed me a box.

“Somehow I just knew that would come up.”

Inside was a necklace.

“Honey you can see those anytime you want with no bribe.” I told him, “But I’ll keep this.   So what’s this about New Orleans?”

“Dad got two tickets to the game New Year’s.  He doesn’t really like football.”

“But he loves drinking, he could sit in a bar.”

“He can do that here.” Trey admitted, “So how about it?  You…Me….Jazz?”

“A million drunk men…”

“Ten thousand and some will have their wives so they will behave.”

“Like I get YOU to behave?”

“OK, so they will look.” He shrugged, “So?”

“OK,” I said, “But I am not flashing anyone.”

“Uh huh…I’ll take the bet.”

63

New Year’s Eve on Bourbon Street.  It is one place where you can be yourself and no one cares.  We both love jazz so we went off in search of hot music.  We were free styling it and found a nice intimate bar a block away.  Since we got a seat there, we decided that was where we would stay.

At midnight, the server suggested we go out in the street and watch the fireworks over Jackson Square.  As we stared at the sky and the colors, Trey wrapped his arms around me and held me to him.  He would nuzzle my neck on occasion.  

Three Hurricanes was probably my limit and we walked back to our hotel a few blocks away.  There I fell into his arms again.

“Did I ever tell you I love you?” I asked as he pulled me closer.

“Not recently.” He replied, “I was beginning to worry you had changed your mind.”

“Never.” I said and kissed him on the lips, letting our tongues play.  “I am glad you found me.”

“I didn’t know you were lost.”

I played with the buttons on his shirt.  “You know what I mean,” I told him, “I never thought I would find anyone.”

 “Kismet, Princess.” He whispered. “I told you we were meant to be together…always.”

“I know, “ I said leading him to the bed, “but still…”

“Still what?”

“Well with everything…”

“Honey,” he said, “You are talking in circles.”

“Were you looking for..?”

“You?” he cut in, “Yes, I was and somehow I knew that day, going into that bar, you would be there, sitting alone, those legs crossed and looking like a real Princess.”

“No…really I meant…”

“Past. remember?”  He kissed me and pulled me down next to him, “and this is New Year’s and the past is ever further away”

I smiled at him.  My fairytale life continued.

“To the future…” I said and leaned to kiss him…then the rum hit. 



64

I slowly opened one eye the next morning.  I was still wearing the dress from the night before but Trey had covered me up.  He was reading the paper in bed next to me.  I moved and my head exploded.

“Good morning,” he said quietly.  “Can I get you a Tylenol?”

“After you shoot me,” I moaned.  “Good morning”

“You just need fluids and a good breakfast.” He told me, “How does grits sound.”

“Like someone eating potato chips, probably.”  I tried to sit up.  “The sun is even too loud.”

“They’re good for you.” He kissed me, “Let me get some water and something for that head.  Shall we find a place to eat?”

“Room service.” I groaned.  I had to pee so I slid out of bed.  In the bathroom I noticed I didn’t have any panties on..

“Um…” I called out, “Trey?”

“Yes dear?”

“Where is my underwear?”

“Got me.” He said, “You want coffee or tea?”

“Coffee…  But about my panties.”

“No idea, last I saw them you were throwing them across the room.”

“Whose room?”

“I didn’t ask him.”

He peaked around the doorway.

“What did they look like?”

“I don’t remember.”

“Well how can I find them if you don’t remember?”

“Well, we were walking down Bourbon street..”

“Did you have them then?”

“Maybe…” I thought a second.  “Um…could you back out so I can finish here?”

“You have nothing I haven’t seen…” He went back into the room.  I finished and walked out.

“No, really, did you take them off?” I asked.

“No, honey I didn’t”

I thought for a minute then it came back to me.  The bar, I went to the restroom and there were panties tacked to the wall.  It was a tradition in that bar…so I…

“I know where they are.”

“Oh?”

“On the wall at the bar.”

“Oh? That explains a lot, I guess.” He looked at me intently, “So you didn’t have them on when we were walking back?”

“Nope.”

“And you kept that a secret?”

“Maybe?”

“And you passed out….and I didn’t…”

“You didn’t?”

“Nope…” he said looking like a puppy.

“Well, we need to fix that.  How long before room service shows…”

65

After water, pain reliever, Bagels and cream cheese, coffee and a bloody Mary, I was almost human again.  The game was at 6PM so we had time to do a little sightseeing.

The bayou country is lush all year long and January is less humid.  Not dry or even close, but not so damp you need to use a machete to get through the air.  I was glad I brought walking shoes as we decided that within a few locks of our hotel there were several historical buildings and we could walk.

The bed and breakfast in Georgia was one of the main reasons we decided to move to that area, but the architecture here was different.  The rich still lived like kings in both areas and the poor parts of the town where the creoles and the mulattos lived have long since been destroyed by fire and hurricane.  Our house was far too modern to decorate like the museums but we marveled at the furniture and art.  Trey, as I knew, was a big art aficionado.  I, on the other hand liked history. 

It was about 3 when we finished touring so we had three hours before we had to be at the stadium.  We found a nice little bistro where we had Cajun food and some cocktails before rushing back to the room to get ready.

Since neither one of us had a dog in the fight, it was just fun cheering the players.  The game was over and we got back to the room at about 11.

“So…?” I started,

“Ah geeze didn’t we just do that like yesterday?” Trey chided me.

“Yes we did, but I think going down to the Quarter would be fun to do again.”

“OK, let’s go exploring!” he said and led me toward the door.  I stopped him and turned to him.

“That’s what you were thinking right?”

“Exactly,” he said, “It wasn’t sex…honest”

Given our past lives experiences we gravitated to the “haunted” areas of the Quarter.  The city was alive with ghosts so to speak.  I expected that I would get some vibe or feeling from places, but I guess my gift was limited to my lives.  I assumed I had never lived in New Orleans and thus I had nothing to stir me.  It was fun nonetheless.  But the proceeding days had taken their toll so we found a nice little club that served absinthe and had a ghost.  The manager told us of how on dark nights the spirit of the first chef would wander around.  Of course Trey used that moment to scare me and I spilled my glass down the front of my top.

“Dammit, Trey.” I laughed, “That wasn’t funny.”

“I thought it was “ he smiled back at me.

“You ruined this blouse.”

“Take it off then.” He replied

I looked at him intently.  “And what would you do if I did?”

“You wouldn’t…  would you?” he asked.  “OK never mind you would.  Let’s go back to the room, I’ll make it up to you.”

“No,” I said , “You’ll buy me dinner first.”  I looked at the manager, “What’s you most expensive dish, I’ll have that.”

66

The Pinto sat in the garage, especially in the winter.  Trey would drive it three or four times a year otherwise.  But, it had sentimental value.  At least before the “dream”

I had a feeling that the car would somehow pull Trey and me apart..  I don’t remember the dream exactly but I woke up sweating.  Trey rolled toward me.

“You OK, honey?” he asked

“I…I don’t know.” I whispered, “It was like the past lives dreams but…it wasn’t the past.”

“Care to share?”

“I can’t remember it all,” I said, “But would you hate me if I asked you to sell the Pinto?”

“Um…why?”

“I don’t know.”

“Princess, I will put it on the market in the morning.” He hugged me, “It’s steel and rubber, you‘re part of me.”

“Well…” I said, “maybe I’m being over reactive.”

“You decide,” he said, “now come here, let me hold you.”

67

I started playing tennis more that the club.  Although most of the women wouldn’t sign up with me, there were a core or half a dozen who did.  It was a good release and after a few weeks no one really paid attention to me as long as I didn’t interfere with their sphere.  Sort of like being back in high school, Boy Scouts or the military.

The car sold in a week and, I know Trey wasn’t thrilled, he did it for me and I was sure that would end that dream and everything would be alright.

We entered a chapter where we were both home on nights and weekends.   It was nice just being a married couple.  He would share the cooking and we stayed home to eat more often, discovering new recipes we thought would be tasty.  Most were good, there were a couple that failed miserably.

“I’m usually pretty good in the kitchen,” I told him one evening.

“I prefer you are good in the bedroom.” He said, putting a smudge of flour on my nose, “ I can always order out food.”

“Stop that, you’ll make a mess”,  I told him rubbing off the flour.  “So I’m just easier than carry out?”

“Yeah, pretty much.” He smiled, “but it is my favorite, I could have it every night.”

“Stay home more, I’ll see what I can do.”

“I could but you would have to give up all this.”

“K…” I smiled evilly, “You would do that just to be with me?”

He turned serious, “yes I would,” he said, “I love our life but if it went away tomorrow, all I would need is you and we could build it back together.”

“Like one of those reality shows…”

“Better.”  He tasted the concoction in the pan, “This is awful…where did you get that recipe?”

“Online,:”” I said, “ I think I missed something.”

“Yeah the part at the end where it says throw it out and call for pizza.”

“I want anchovies…” I said as I threw the ingredients in the trash.

“Really?”  he asked, “You on the salty fish diet?”

“Anything salty you know that.” I kissed his cheek, “That’s why I keep you.  Order the damn pizza.”





Part IX
68
“Ladies and Gentlemen we are arriving in Dublin in a few minutes.  Please put your seats in an upright position and secure all belongings.  Thank you for flying AerLingus today and if you are visiting out emerald Isle, enjoy, if you live here, welcome home.”

The plane touched down and rolled into the terminal.  We deplaned and gathered our luggage then looked for a taxi to take us to our bed and breakfast.

“You sure you want to go to Mayo?” he asked me as sat in the room catching our breath.

“Sure,” I replied, “I have to see for myself.”

“But it may bring back a flood of memories.”

“That is kind of what I was hoping for” I sighed, “Because if it does, then that confirms it doesn’t it?”

“I thought we did that when my story matched yours”

“Still could be a coincidence.” I told him, “Maybe I talk in my sleep and you picked up on it.”

“OK,” he agreed, “maybe.  But if you feel uncomfortable, let me know and we can leave.  We have all of Ireland to explore and Scotland.  10 days.”

Hmm…you in a skirt…maybe fun.”

“You in a skirt is more fun.”

The next day we drove out to County Mayo.  We had booked a B&B in Geesala.  Since my vision was overlooking the ocean, this looked like a likely place.  The Irish countryside was gorgeous and riding along with Trey was very romantic.  We arrived at Geesala and drove to a place where we could overlook the ocean.  Although it was lovely, it wasn’t the site I remembered.

“Maybe tomorrow, we can drive down the coast a bit.” Trey suggested.

“Just a bit…this is close.” I replied.

We dined in a small restaurant that evening and engaged the owner in conversation.  I described what I had seen and his eyes lit up.

 “You’ll be talking the Donegal area,.” He said thoughtfully, “That would be north a bit.  You sure it wasn’t another name?”

“No, I am sure it was McHain. or similar.”

“They were common in the area but most left for America.” He said, “And who would be your kin?” he asked me.

“McLaughlin I think”

“Then I am sure ‘twas Donnegal area. There are still some McLaughlins there.” Then he laughed, “But then there are McLaughlins ever’where.”

 

 

 

 

69

 

We drove on a narrow road that followed the water.  Being in Ireland put me on the scenic side of the car.  Trey and I laughed and joked as he drove, but then a sudden sad feeling came over me and we both became serious.

“Oh my God,” I said, “It’s like I am coming home.  It feels like I‘ve been here.”

“Me too.” Trey said quietly, “Like I left something here and now I am coming to get it back.”

I stared out the window watching the cliffs and the water pass.  Suddenly Trey pulled off the road.

“There.” He pointed , “there.”

Across a stone wall was a pasture and beyond that the ocean.  It was like in my dream.  Several sheep grazed there.  A tear ran down my face.  I stepped out of the car and stood on the road’s edge, the breeze billowing through my hair.

“Just as I remember it.” Trey said from behind me.  He pulled me close and hugged me to him, whispering in my ear. “This is where I met the love of my life…for the first time.”

“Seems impossible doesn’t it?” I asked. “That we both know this place and yet we have never been here.”

“Susan and Trey have never been here, WE have been here before.”

“But that’s us.”

“Our spirits.” He stated, “and spirits never die.  They go on and find one another again.  I found you, again.  Up until that day I didn’t know who I was or where I was going.  Seeing you, there with the sun shining on your hair, I knew.”

“How could you be so sure?”

“Look at you, your energy, your aura, if you will, are the same.”

I looked out over the water.

“I could see if it were me finding you.” I said, “You have always been Thomas or similar.  But me, I have been Kathleen and Manon…”

“You have been you.” He said, “Names don’t matter.”  He pulled me to the rock wall and helped me over it to the lush grass beyond.  The sheep looked up and then resumed grazing as we walked to the far end.  There was another wall there, probably to keep the sheep from falling to the craggy beach below.  I stood and looked out, the breeze off the water cool and the sun warm on my face.

“It is just as I thought it would be,” Trey said, “You standing there.  Me seeing you from afar and coming over to you and saying..”

“Can I help ye?” A voice called out.  The shepherd and his dog stood in the middle of the pasture waving at us.  “Are ye alright? I kin call for help if ye need it.”

Trey met the man halfway. 

“I’m sorry we didn’t mean to trespass..” Trey started.

“And yet, there you are.” The man pointed out.

“Yes, here we are.” Trey held out his hand, “I’m Thomas Hughes.”

The man shook his hand and smiled.

“I’m Patrick McLaughlin.”

I started to laugh.  The man looked at me seriously.

“Was there something funny I said?” he asked me.

“No, Mister McLaughlin, there wasn’t.” I shook his hand, “I’m Susan March.”

“You look like a Kathleen to me.” He said, “But Susan is a fine name too.”

Again I started to laugh

“You don’t know how many times I have been mistaken for a Kathleen.” I told him.  We explained how we had heard of the beautiful view in the area and just happened to be passing by and thought we would stop.”

“Don’t worry about it.” He assured us, “I get to see it every day.  I guess I don’t see the same beauty you do.  But now that you mention it, it is, isn’t it?”

“Very.” I said.

69

 We helped Patrick check his flock and I played with his dog, Skip, then we asked him to join us at the nearest public house.  Skip and Patrick jumped in the car and we drove to a small village.  On the square was a pub and we followed him in as Skip took a position just outside the door and lay down.

“Patrick!” the barman said as we entered, “It’s a bit early isn’t it?”

“Aye,” Patrick told him, “But I found this guy bothering this lass and had to bring them in for a good talking to.”

The barman drew a pint and looked at us.

“The same for both of us please,” Trey told him, “and whatever the day’s special is for food.”

“What about Skip?” the man at the bar asked.

“One for him too then.” I said.

“You’ll be getting me dog drunk and I will have him walk home.” Patrick told me. “But it’s a special occasion.”

We found a table and sat down.  Trey and Patrick talked like old friends.  Our food arrived…pizza.

“You don’t know it but pizza was invented in Ireland, the Italians stole the idea from us.  You can’t trust the Italians.” Pat explained, “So what do you do in America?” he asked us, “I want to go there someday.”

“She’s in sales and I do investments.” Trey said.

“Want to invest in some sheep?” he teased us.

“I would,” I told him, “What would it cost for two.”

“You would want a sheep?”

“ No, two. Only for the wool.” I told him.

“How’s a hundred pounds sound?”

“Cheaper than a court fine for trespassing.” Trey laughed, “Sold, the lady wants two sheep.”

“Tell me where to send the profit.” Patrick raised his glass to us.

“Parlay it, maybe soon we’ll have a whole flock.”

Patrick told us about the area and the history.  The McLaughln’s had been there since 1824.  Farmers the whole time but barely survived the famine.

Trey asked about the McHains.

“The McCains you mean.  They used to have a bank.  The oldest son in 1865 lost it all.  The youngest son married my great great aunt and moved to America.  Don’t know what happened to them.”

Trey gave me a knowing smile.  I blushed.

“Why do you ask?” he asked me.

“Nothing really, just something we heard from people we know.  It’s the past.”

“Well,” he said, “Tell your friends they owe us 50 pounds.”

“Fifty pounds?”

“Aye,” he said, “What we told that McCain he had to pay to have the prettiest girl in the county.  They snuck off, they did.”

 

70

We spent the rest the trip just exploring the island and made it back the night before our flight home. As I slid into bed, Trey was looking at a photo he took.

“Fine looking ewe.” He said.

“You ain’t bad too neither.” I kissed his neck.

“No, ewe.” He said

“Yes you.”

“Oh never mind.” He said, “Are you happier now?”

“Very,” I told him, running my hand over his chest. “Except I can’t believe you stiffed my family for 50 pounds.”

“Cheap at twice the price.” He hugged me. “But I’m glad we came.”

“Me too.” I said, “now we can focus on the future.  Oh by the way, I’m pregnant.”

“Great,” he said, “I always wanted a little T-girl to teach to play hurling.”

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment